Part time, non-benefitted position
$9.00 - $10.00 an hour
Monday - Friday; some evenings and weekends required
Red Butte Garden is seeking a full-time Education Assistant. Join a great team and gain valuable experience planning and teaching school and youth programs at the Garden. This is a full-time, non-benefitted, seasonal position. Work schedule is 30-40 hours per week depending on the season with some weekend and evening work required. Position runs through October 2014.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
• Teaching on and off-site school programs to elementary school students
• Preparing for and teaching summer camps and Saturday classes
• Planning and leading activities at festivals, birthday parties and other special programs
• Assisting with daily operations by maintaining supplies, facilities and equipment
This is an entry-level position. Training will be provided. Must demonstrate an interest in learning about child development and guidance; a willingness to take direction from the assigned teacher; willing to obtain a food handlers permit, TB test, Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) background check, first aid training are required. Demonstrated human relation and effective human relations skills are also required.
• Background in education, environmental studies or horticulture
• Proven written and verbal communication skills
• Previous experience working with children and some knowledge of basic lesson planning
• Must be flexible and able to work both independently and as part of a team
• Bachelor’s degree
• An interest in plants demonstrated either by education or previous employment
• Experience working in an outdoor setting
Part time, non-benefitted position (temporary)
$7.25 to $9.50 an hour - some weekend work required
The Horticulture Department at Red Butte Garden is looking for seasonal gardeners who have a passion for gardening and working outdoors. We strongly prefer people who can commit to 16-29 hrs/wk beginning early March, understand the physical commitment required for gardening, and are able to work in a variety of weather conditions and temperature extremes.
Exact duties vary depending upon assigned team.
Outdoor Garden: weeding, mulching, planting, deadheading, pruning, watering, fertilization, pest control, trash removal, sweeping, event support, etc.
Natural Area: same as above, also trail maintenance and noxious weed removal, etc.
Greenhouse: indoor plant displays, outdoor seasonal displays, and plant production, including watering, seeding, transplanting, weeding, deadheading, pruning, fertilization, pest control, sweeping, event support, etc.
Irrigation/Lawns/Equipment: push mowing, weedeating, trash removal, irrigation system repairs, sweeping, event support, etc.
A passion for gardening and working with plants, valid US drivers license, commitment to work 16-29 hrs/wk beginning early March, proven written and oral communication skills, commitment to provide excellent customer service and ability to work cooperatively with others, understand the physical commitment required for gardening and working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and temperature extremes, and be at least 18 years of age (University requirement for operating motorized equipment).
Previous related education and/or experience is preferred, but not required.