Red Butte Garden is a botanical garden and arboretum – essentially a museum for plants!
As such, we do not offer the same picnic options or facilities as a public park. While we can accommodate small groups with a picnic, we are limited in accommodating larger groups looking for a place to picnic.
FREE ADMISSION DAYS
Due to the large volume of guests we host on Free Admission Days, we discourage picnics for small groups on our Free Days. Large groups are not permitted to picnic on our Free Days.
SMALL GROUPS (1-14 guests)
Small groups of guests are welcome to picnic in the Garden. Please be aware of the following information when planning a picnic in the Garden:
- No reservations are required.
- Guests may picnic in the following locations on a space-available basis:
- TABLE SEATING – Table seating for up to 6 guests in the Courtyard, Wayside Rests, and Water Conservation Garden.
- LAWN SEATING – Lawn seating for up to 14 guests on the Water Pavilion Lawn, the Rose Garden Lawn, or the Amphitheatre Lawn.
- Please do not move any of the Garden's tables, chairs, or benches.
- To preserve our gardens and plant collections, sporting games and cooking of food are not allowed in the Garden.
- We are not able to store or refrigerate any food for your small group.
- Garbage cans are limited in the Garden. Please be prepared to pack all your garbage out with you.
LARGE GROUPS (15 or more guests)
Due to limited space and facilities, we have the following restrictions for larger groups looking for a place to picnic:
- Reservations are required.
- Depending on the details of the group, fees and damage deposit may be required.
- For more information or to make a reservation please contact our Private Events team firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-585-9563.
- School groups are not permitted to picnic inside Red Butte Garden.
- The Garden's Programming staff can provide school groups with a list of local public parks for picnics